A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 13 06:45:01 PDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-13 at 13:28 +0000, Wyatt via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 13 March 2015 at 07:00:12 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> >
> > On the other hand Go is gaining massive traction in the market
>
> The power of marketing is truly frightening.

There is certainly an element of "Google invented and use this, I must
as well" so nil effort marketing has caught many. On the other hand
there are many, cf. CloudFlare, for example, that have created a real
sane use of Go as fundamentally a strongly typed checked simplified C
with a form of CSP.

The removal of shared memory multi-threading in favour of using
processes and channels should never be underestimated as a Really Good
Thing™ that other native code languages (*) have failed to do anything
about. Thus Go wins, others lose.

(*) JVM languages have GPars.

--
Russel.