A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 13 07:48:11 PDT 2015

On 3/13/15 1:53 AM, JN wrote:
> On Friday, 13 March 2015 at 06:58:59 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 17:20 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
>> wrote:
>> […]
>>> - no good IDE
>>
>> Not entirely true, there are Emacs, VIM, LiteIDE, and others for Go
>> development.
>
> Never heard of LiteIDE, but Emacs and VIM aren't really IDEs,
> they are just glorified text editors. When people say IDE, they
> not only mean the text editing part, but the management of the
> build process and visual debugging, including watches,
> breakpoints, step-by-step debugging etc.

I've tried a couple of IDEs with D in Ubuntu. Geany crashed whenever I
started a debug session, but that happens with C++ as well and is a bug
in Geany (http://sourceforge.net/p/geany-plugins/bugs/119/).

Then I tried Code::Blocks and the debug experience has been almost
shockingly good. I had no idea! Then I found indeed a wiki page
describing the features: http://wiki.dlang.org/CodeBlocks. It is easy to
find via google by searching e.g. for ``ides for dlang''. But there is
no obvious way to get there from dlang.org. I think we should feature
the IDEs page more prominently.

Andrei