A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Israel via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 13 10:11:05 PDT 2015

On Friday, 13 March 2015 at 00:20:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> A friend of mine needed to complete a small project and thought
> of using a language he didn't know for it. He already knew I
> work on D so he considered it alongside Go. He ended up
> choosing the latter, and documented his decision making process
> in a few notes that he subsequently shared with me. I'll paste
> below a sort of transcript of his handwritten notes.
>
> I think this is valuable information from a relatively unbiased
> potential user, and good ideas and action items on how we can
> improve our curb appeal. Even mistaken perceptions are good
> signal - it means our materials weren't explicit enough to
> dispel them.

> I'd love us to derive a few action items from this and other
> feedback.
>

> Andrei

Well see the real problem is that D cant seem to cater to one
group or another.

It cant cater to new/inexperienced people because it isnt
portrayed that way.

It cant cater to the hardcore/DieHard C/C++ people because it is
difficult to convince them.

You need to pick a target audience and stick with it...