A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 13 11:20:45 PDT 2015

> Finally, I feel I should respond to this:
>
> On Friday, 13 March 2015 at 02:28:53 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> If you want to be Rob Pike Jr., Go is great. If you want to
>> program your way, not so much.
>
> I have no reason to take this personally, seeing as I'm pretty
> secure in my non-Rob-Pike-ness, but from a product design (and
> selling) standpoint, blaming or insulting the user is, of
> course,
> missing the point. I felt equally put-off by the dismissive tone
> of some of the creators of Go towards those who "don't
> understand" Go's ethos. I still ended up using their language,
> but it wasn't for their persuasion skills. Thankfully, it seems
> this isn't the general tone of D's community, and the level of
> healthy, open debate over here appears to be much higher than
> for
> Go.

Sorry if it appeared I was being critical of you. I was only
giving the reasons that I didn't like Go. Maybe I should have
said Go forces you to program like Rob Pike. That works for a lot
of programmers, but not for me.

I feel compelled to say that I don't represent the D community.
Although I use D for work
(https://bitbucket.org/bachmeil/dmdinline) I've never contributed
anything to its development. I'm just a random guy on the
internet that compared Go against D but came to a different
conclusion.