A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 13 11:33:31 PDT 2015

On Friday, 13 March 2015 at 14:34:23 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-03-13 at 14:20 +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
> […]
>
>> reluctant to learn something new. Crowd 2. we can win over,
>> yet we have failed to communicate with them, to reach out to
>> them. Most people I know have a look at D's homepage and say
>> "Uh! Hm. Ah, I'll use Python." No, they are not hardcore
>> programmers, they are engineers and scientists. But they are
>> _users_, people who need to write software to analyze data, to
>> create something. We should not ignore them, even if they are
>> not (initially) interested in templates and metaprogramming.
>> Neither was I, when I first learned D.
>
> It is not Python or R or Julia the language that people choose,
> it is
> the superstructure built on top. So for Python, it is Pandas,
> Matplotlib, SciPy, NumPy. And the ability to use ready made C,
> C++ and
> Fortran libraries.

Ecosystems play a big role in language choice.

In our case, C++ has for a long time been pushed for plumbing at
the OS level or that last performance that the JIT cannot help.

So any C++ replacement has to be able to be exposed as JNI,
P/Invoke, COM, WinRT, V8.

As well as offer similar level of mixed debugging across
boundaries.