A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Almighty Bob via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 13 14:02:38 PDT 2015

On Friday, 13 March 2015 at 15:17:06 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> This in big bold font, too. The HTML way of saying, "you wanted
> startsWith? I'll give you more startsWith than you can carry."
> Picture the effect this has on someone who just wanted to see
> if a string starts with another.
>
> We need to make the template constraints distinct for
> formatting in ddoc.
>
> Sadly http://dlang.org/library/std/algorithm/starts_with.html
> is bad in other ways. It doesn't have any examples! In
> contrast, the unified page does have some decent examples.
>
> This all is under the "curb appeal" category.

The language reference is pretty abysmal too. EG...

The language "Introduction" spends all it's time talking about
phases of compilation. That's like introducing someone to driving
by explaining how the internal combustion engine works.

The page on templates starts with scope and instantiation
details. The examples at the start have alias parameters which
aren't explained until half way down the page.

I mean why no start the template page with something that people
will find familiar and then build on that?

It has that feel all the way through. You go looking for things
and they never seem to be where you expect, or they are so
tersely explained, it feels like it's a reference for people
already experts in D. Which is fine if that's what it's meant to
be ... but if you want to attract new people you need a "guided
tour" rather than a "technical spec".