A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Charles Pritchard via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 14 01:42:39 PDT 2015

On Friday, 13 March 2015 at 23:10:21 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 3/13/15 2:02 PM, Almighty Bob wrote:
>> The language reference is pretty abysmal too. EG...
>> The page on templates starts with scope and instantiation
>> details. The
>> examples at the start have alias parameters which aren't
>> explained until
>> half way down the page.
>
> The language reference is fine if arid. One shouldn't learn the
> language from its reference. It should be, however,
> complemented by tutorials. -- Andrei

On the language reference:

The D documentation as an introduction is readable, though large.
Relative to that, the DLib documentation hurts.
http://dlang.org/arrays.html
http://dlang.org/phobos/std_array.html

When I was new to PHP, I can tell you that the php.net/<funcname>
method of learning was a big help. It redirected me to the
appropriate manual page and manual pages had code snippets, often
provided in the comments section.

As an example, I want to do something random, and the PHP docs
are much easier to understand.
http://php.net/rand
http://dlang.org/phobos/std_random.html

-Charles