A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 14 02:26:58 PDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-13 at 00:22 -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 3/12/2015 11:57 PM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > How about lining up some features for removal.
>
> Easier said than done. I've proposed a couple things for removal, but got a lot
> of pushback. Some things have been successfully removed:

Pushback can be ignored, and indeed should in some cases.

Java is going to come to this battle when primitive types finally get
removed from the language.

> . octal literals

C should be incinerated for the 0777 abomination. At least 0o777 can
work reasonably.

> . 'bit' data type
> . builtin complex numbers

Electronics folk love these. Many people use Python exactly for this
type.

> . NCEG floating point comparison
> . typedef
> . local operators new & delete
>

> > C++, Fortran, and Java are big, complicated languages, that keep getting
> > bigger and more complicated because of the obsession with backward
> > compatibility. D is already a big, complicated language. If people like
> > straighforward (not necessarily simple) languages, then the inference is
> > quite easy.
>
> Has any language been successful at abandoning their user base (i.e. existing
> code)? Going from D1 to D2 nearly destroyed D. I'm not eager to try that again.

The war is being played out in the Python 2/3 arena certainly.
Interestingly though there are fewer and fewer Python 2 hold outs. Their
holding out has made Python 3 change a little, and for the better in my
view – even though I refuse to write any Python 2 specific code.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk