A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 14 05:32:36 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 09:00:11 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

> If D is to compete in the financial computing arena where
> Python and R
> currently rule, there needs to be all the libraries for doing
> time
> series analysis, and rendering them graphically. There also
> needs to be
> a workflow that fits the users of the domain. The market leader
> is
> currently Jupyter (*) in the finance places I have connection
> with.

D can gain popularity by doing what Rcpp has done, by making it
easy to embed C++ code inside R. Rcpp is currently the most
common dependency among all R packages. I have done the same with
D though it's not yet in a form that others can really use it
(https://bitbucket.org/bachmeil/dmdinline).

The best thing to happen to D was the ability to create shared
libraries on Linux. You can add D to your existing codebase
incrementally. That is, in my opinion, D's "killer application".
And D has an advantage over C++. R users will write C++ because
they have to, whereas D is a language they'll use because they
want to.