A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 14 07:36:05 PDT 2015

>> + one binary to distribute
>
> This goes for D as well.

I always wonder about this, it comes up often when people discuss
Go favourably. Like "compiles fast", there seems to be a
perception problem that most people think only Go has these
attributes.* Maybe something for us to stress? I'd never have
thought this would be the thing to draw people in, but it keeps
getting mentioned for Go so...

>> + good for servers
>
> Doable with D (vibe.d), but not part and parcel of the
> language, although important.

Similarly, there's a marketing problem here. A friend of mine who
knows I like D said once "but you wouldn't use it to write a
server". Which is funny since that's exactly the kind of task I'd
use D for.

Is Go good for writing servers? Yes. Is D? Yes!**

There's a good chance that if the concurrency parts of vibe.d
made it into the library that we could market the bejeezus out of
that. Plus the networking parts of vibe.d as well, of course.

Atila

* I also love that they say "fast" as if that has meaning by
itself. Faster than C++? Well done in beating a known slowcoach...
** with vibe.d anyway