A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 14 10:22:26 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 00:33:43 UTC, engnieer wrote:

>> [1] The problem is that all these nice Python and R
>> implementations are practically useless for real world
>> applications. Too slow, too cumbersome, too many dependencies.
>> It has to be rewritten anyway. (I'd be happy, if they used at
>> least C.)
>
> No, no, no. Your "real world" doesn't seem to include all the
> engineering industries. I work for an engineer company and use
> python everywhere for application code, and of course
> matlab-simulink for hard realtime code.
>
> For us, Russel's comment on super structure is right on target.
>
> - engineer.

Unfortunately, for speech and language processing (synthesis,
speech recognition etc) Python is too slow. Everybody uses Python
at first, but the serious code that is later put into real world
applications is usually written in C or C++. This is a fact. I
know people who developed speech analysis frameworks in Python
and are now thinking of rewriting it in C++ for commercial
purposes.

Python is good for protoyping, but if you need fast applications,
it is usually C/C++ (or D).