A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 14 11:33:14 PDT 2015

On Sat, 2015-03-14 at 18:11 +0000, Chris via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]

> This may be part of it. But I know that open source free software
> in this sector is also written in C/C++ or Java. I haven't seen a
> single system that was acceptable in Python. Sooner or later they
> all go back to C.

Java will have the same problem as Python regarding shipping source to
anyone who knowns how to decompile Java.

> I just don't see the point in using Python only to rewrite
> performance critical parts in C/C++ or D. Why not start with D or
> C from scratch. Also, I know that this Cython and C module mixing
> becomes a mess very quickly which makes development tricky and
> deployment a pain in the a**. I believe that as soon as you have
> to mix languages like that, there is something wrong, and you
> begin to rely heavily on an infrastructure that helps you to keep
> track of the whole mess.

I would reject C as a language of implementation for everything except
small operating systems – which includes many embedded things, most
being effectively operating systems. I can see people using C++, but it
would be better if they used D, but I doubt this will happen :-(

Mixing Python, Cython, and C does require standard compiled project
management, but is no worse than pure C, C++ or D systems. I would
suggest that the "messiness" is due to the Python people not doing the
Cython and C properly, and the C people objecting to having Python
involved. It usually comes down to the people and not the technology.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk