A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

engnieer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 14 17:14:43 PDT 2015

> Unfortunately, for speech and language processing (synthesis,
> speech recognition etc) Python is too slow. Everybody uses
> Python at first, but the serious code that is later put into
> real world applications is usually written in C or C++. This is
> a fact. I know people who developed speech analysis frameworks
> in Python and are now thinking of rewriting it in C++ for
> commercial purposes.
>
> Python is good for protoyping, but if you need fast
> applications, it is usually C/C++ (or D).

What you are saying is not wrong, except for the generalizations
to "everybody".

Obviously you are not aware of the other people/industries who
use python for non-performane critical applications (not
prototype, but real large applications), there are several
reasons, but don't want to bore you with details (one of which is
the "super structure").

I do wish we were using D everywhere, and I do use it for
personal and small tools at the job.

- engineer