dfmt options

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 15 01:12:23 PDT 2015

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 16:48:21 Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 3/14/2015 4:15 PM, Brian Schott wrote:
> > What am I missing?
>
> I suggest defining "The One True Way" and have no configuration options.

Which would instantly make it useless for many users, because many of them
will disagree with the "One True Way" regardless of what it is. Tabs vs
spaces, BSD Allman bracing vs K&R bracing, if(...) vs if (...), ( test1 &&
test2 ) vs (test1 && test2), etc., etc.

It's one thing to decide on a standard format that the official projects
would use. It's quite another to say that that's how all D programs in
existence should be, which is basically what we'd be doing if we made dfmt
only support one style. There's already quite a range in what folks do with
their D programs - be they personal or at companies which use D. Let's
_please_ not try and force any particular style on the D community.

- Jonathan M Davis