A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 15 04:02:40 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 09:13:19 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/14/2015 10:28 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> I use them all the time, and cringe whenever I code in
>> something else because i
>> don't have them. Once you have /* comments */ in some piece of
>> code, you can't
>> comment blocks without going through hoops. that is very
>> annoying./+ comments +/
>> are one of the simple thing that makes coding in D much more
>> pleasant.
>
> Use:
>
>    version (none)
>    {
>    }
>
> instead of:
>
>    /+
>     +/

Nope, that requires the commented-out part to be syntactically
correct. My primary use-case for /+ +/ is during development,
when I quickly need to disable specific parts of code. These
frequently don't coincide with syntactic boundaries.

> On a related note, see how difficult it is to remove a feature?
> Every time I propose one, someone pops up and says they built
> their life around it :-)

At least in this case, it's because they are actually useful, and
there is no convenient replacement. Besides, why would you want
to remove them again? Just so we can say, "Look, we removed a
feature!"? They're so trivial to implement and support, and so
easy to learn, that their presence does not add a significant
cost.