Template constraints

matovitch via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 15 06:46:06 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 10:40:17 UTC, w0rp wrote:
> [...]
> Bjarne's CppCon 2014 keynote again and I took away two things
> from it.
>
> 1. For the overwhelming majority of things Bjarne wants from
> C++ mentioned in that keynote, D has done all of them, and
> better...
> 2. ...except for concepts.
>
> I believe D does the template error message thing a *whole lot*
> better than C++. That's all because of template constraints,
> static if, and static assert, and I believe those are down to
> Andrei's influence. (Though others likely deserve credit for
> their design, implementation, and maintenance. As always you'll
> probably have to nod to Kenji who works like crazy.)
>
> I've been wondering what we can do to make specifying
> constraints for something like ranges a little easier to write,
> with obviously some underlying complexities which will be hard
> to implement. This doesn't address your concern about error
> messages for constraints really, but what I've thought of is
> roughly this.
>
> Say you write 'copy' currently. You'll do something like this.
>
> void copy(InputRange, OutputRange)(InputRange inputRange,
> OutputRange)
> if (isInputRange!InputRange && isOutputRange!OutputRange) {
>     /* Some implementation of copying. */
> }
>
> Maybe you'll use less verbose names and all kinds of things,
> but essentially that is what you're after. I've been wondering
> if it's possible to use compiler magic to make this possible.
>
> // These names conflict with our interfaces in std.range,
> whatever, imagine
> // some other name place of them if you like.
> template InputRange(T) {
>     enum InputRange = isInputRange!T;
> }
>
> // The newer syntax makes the above easier...
> enum OutputRange(T) = isOutputRange!T;
>
> // Now this works with magic...
> void copy()(InputRange inputRange, OutputRange outputRange) {
>     /* Some implementation of copying. */
> }
>
> If you write this now, the compiler will print an error saying,
> "Hey, you just attempted to use this template which takes one
> argument as a type in this paramter list right here." My idea
> is to take that information and instead of returning an error,
> just go, "Oh, I'll just add another template parameter onto the
> end of your template parameter list here, replace the thing
> which really should be a type here with T from the parameter
> list, use deduction to insert the type for T and then use it,
> then use the template you had originally as a test on the type
> T yielding our boolean expression." I left the extra parens in
> there for 'copy' as I reckon they'll probably be a requirement
> anyway, and then you can't make accidental templates.
>
> You might have to read what I wrote four times to make sense of
> it, but that's my crazy idea others can destroy. I'm more of a
> wild idea guy than a formal specification guy.

I am not sure of what you want to do but that looks like
"meta-type" like :

void copy(InputRange IRage, OutputRange ORange) (IRange src,
Orange dest)  {
      /* Some implementation of copying. */
}

Hashkell has something like that for a long times (early 90s I
think) wich is call type classes. Essentially, it checks that the
type implement a certain interface (operators included). You
could do the same in c++ with boost (now maybe std)::is_base_of I
think.