Smart references

Zach the Mystic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 15 10:49:12 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 15:55:51 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
>> Are the suggested changes also related to the possibility of
>> making `ref` a type?
>
> Are there plans to do this? I remember Walter suggested `ref`
> for non-parameters, i.e. local variables, but as a storage
> class, not a type modifier.

I don't think there are plans per se, but if struct semantics are
made powerful and flexible enough, I can imagine it being
possible to simply recreate 'ref' parameters as 'Ref!' struct
templates. For me, the question is what new additions would have
to be added to structs to enable this. It seems like a good
thought exercise, regardless of the final decision.