A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 15 20:25:59 PDT 2015

On Monday, 16 March 2015 at 01:22:47 UTC, cym13 wrote:
> It is anecdotic but after reading everywhere about how fast is
> compiling D, I was very surprised to see it taking 2s for a
> regular "Hello World". I understand it better now but at the
> time I was disapointed.

It would be interesting to know why you get these results. This
is way slower than what I've experienced myself.

For instance, compiling SDC, and then using this newly compiled
SDC to compile its runtime, from scratch, takes ~13s on my old
laptop (Core 2 DUO P8700) and ~5s on the macbook pro.

This is tens of thousands of line of code.

Compiling an hello world is almost instantaneous as far as I
experienced it. I do think it is interesting for you to share
your setup so we can understand what is going on and avoid for
another newbie to have the same experience.