The next iteration of scope

Zach the Mystic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 15 21:00:49 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 15 March 2015 at 14:10:02 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
> Here's the new version of my scope proposal:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/User:Schuetzm/scope2
>
> It's still missing real-life examples, a section on the
> implementation, and a more formal specification, as well as a
> discussion of backwards compatibility. But I thought I'd show
> what I have, so that it can be discussed early on.
>
> I hope it will be more digestible for Walter & Andrei. It's
> more or less an extended version of DIP25, and avoids the need
> for most explicit annotations.

It's great to see your design evolving like this. BIG plus for
`scope` by default in @safe code -- this makes the proposal much
more attractive than the alternative.

"Functions and methods can be overloaded on scope. This allows
efficient passing of RC wrappers for instance..."

How does the compiler figure out which of the variables it's
passing to the parameters are `scope` or not? Does the caller try
the scoped overloads first by default, and only if there's an
error tries the non-scoped overloads? If so, what causes the
error?

"To specify that the value is returned through another parameter,
the return!ident syntax can be used...

struct RC(T) if(is(T == class)) {
     scope T payload;
     T borrow() return {    // `return` applies to `this`
         return payload;
     }
}"

The example contains no use of `return!ident`.

Also, what exactly does the `scope` on T payload get you? Is it
just a more specific version of `return` on the this parameter,
i.e. `return this.payload`? Why would you need that specificity?
What is the dangerous operation it is intended to prevent?