A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 16 06:00:25 PDT 2015

On Monday, 16 March 2015 at 08:07:26 UTC, ninja wrote:
> On Monday, 16 March 2015 at 01:22:47 UTC, cym13 wrote:
>> If stories are wanted, I might as well tell mine.
>
> I am an attorney and a typical "programming-language-user": I
> love to code my own utilities for the job (document-creation,
> bookkeeping, etc.), but I use Windows and have an android smart
> phone. In the last 15 years, I tried C (which I still use for
> specific tasks), C++, C#, Pascal, Java, Perl, Ruby, Lua and D
> now. I avoided Python and PHP because a good roofer listens to
> his heart, not his wallet* :) My experiences so far:
>
> 1. D has to worst docs I happened to meet. I am still having
> difficulties figuring out functions like 'any' and 'all', while
> understood the Ruby Enumerables at the first time. Same goes to
> string manipulation. Last time I used std.zip I had to read it's
> source to make my code work. That's a big warning sign.
>
> 2. Please stop changing the (core) language all the time. There
> are like 3 new proposals every week in the forums and at least 2
> of those are seriously considered. Please, just stop.
>
> 3. Improve Windows support. Include
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings/wiki/WindowsApi. The
> fact that D needs Visual Studio for 64bit apps in 2015 is a
> shame.
>
> 4. D needs some kind of default GUI toolkit. I can't give my
> utilities to associates/friends because no one wants to use a
> console any more. I know it is not a small feat, but look at
> Ruby
> - they just bundle the last version of Tk with their installer
> and maintain a thin wrapper. Tk can be love/hated (I actually
> like its flat and winnative theme) but it enables out-of-the-box
> platform independent desktop-developement for Ruby.
>
> * sorry for the ancient Star Wars/Clerks reference

Smart phones seem to have an under allocation of attention to
them in the D community given the stakes.  If I had the free
cashflow I would pay for someone to work on that full time for a
bit, but that's not practicable for the time being.

Interesting to hear about your experience using D for your work.
Would you be willing to write a little more about it and share
your experience in a way that could be added to a collection of
user stories?

For the GUI, have you considered creating a local web front end ?
  Less work than a pure GUI, but people are used to using a
browser.