Facebook, D and the web

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 16 08:39:27 PDT 2015

On Monday, 16 March 2015 at 14:47:15 UTC, Chris wrote:
> In a recent thread[1] there was a lot of talk about how to make
> D more attractive, how to communicate it's advantages to a
> broader audience etc.
>
> I was wondering, if Facebook would be interested in either
> developing or championing the development of a scripting
> language based on D that would be a. useful for in-house
> development at Facebook and b. for a broad audience of web
> developers. This would (ideally) be a language that:
>
> 1. is easy, even for non-programmers (like Lua and Python)
> 2. can be used to easily build web based UI apps (forms etc)
> 3. can be used for server-side programming and data analysis
> 4. is, of course, compatible with D and can be extended with
> modules written in D (and C for that matter)
> 5. runs on mobile platforms
> 6. may be able to interact with JS
> 7. is open source
>
> I don't know, if there is any demand for this at Facebook at
> the moment, but I could imagine that there is demand for a
> better web language in general.
>
> People keep mentioning "killer apps" for D and maybe a killer
> technology / framework would be even better.
>

> [1] http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mdtago$em9$1@digitalmars.com

Having a way to do data analysis in a notebook like Ipython would
be very nice indeed.  At the moment your best option is calling D
from Julia or Python.  D REPL won't cut the mustard because you
want persistent state to be able to iteratively explore large
data sets without reloading from disc every time you enter a new
command.  You could use a RAM disk, but that's still very clumsy.

I disagree with the other poster that the standard library is
bloated.  It just needs better docs.