enabling persistent state for the REPL?

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 16 17:55:42 PDT 2015

On Monday, 16 March 2015 at 21:36:45 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> I'm talking about:
> https://drepl.dawg.eu/
>
> It has been several days already that it is coming soon. How
> soon is soon ?

It's a different topic (and hope you will forgive my hijacking
your thread - I don't know the answer, but guess you will hear
back soon enough - hijack or no), but I was thinking about how
one could make the REPL more useful as something closer to the
ipython notebook.

What do you/others think about having the REPL serialize any
variables (optionally only those that are declared in a certain
way, or part of a particular struct) to RAM disk or SSD and
reload them at each stage rather than calculating them (ie
compiling the generating statements) from scratch each time.  The
overhead would be modest in the trivial case, but it would allow
you to use the REPL to explore larger data sets that take time to
generate.

Simple example here:
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/twiecki/3962843

(This data doesn't take long to generate, but larger data sets
might).