A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

CraigDillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 18 06:27:53 PDT 2015

clip

>> Bearophile,
>>
>> You said that "Unfortunately" this thinking is going out of
>> style "for good reasons".   I am confused (sorry, I am at
>> work, and didn't have time to watch the 1+ hour video you
>> linked to - maybe some clues were there)!
>>
>> I often find myself feeling a bit like Elazar.  Not long ago I
>> wrote some Python code using a bunch of the functional style
>> programming tools and I was very please with the very concise
>> code I had generated.  Then, I had to make some modifications
>> to the code. It took me an inordinate amount of time just to
>> figure out what the code was doing, and I had written it
>> myself just a few days earlier!
>>
>> Craig
>
> Maybe your years of practice and deep familiarity with
> imperative code patterns - both general and individual to
> yourself - might have skewed the result somewhat.
>
> It seems to me that much of practical programming is about
> having set up "quick paths" in your brain for recognising and
> manipulating common patterns. There's a big gap between
> understanding something intellectually and understanding
> something intuitively.

There is quite possibly something too that, and as I imagine
with more functional experience it will come easier to me.

However, I still think imperative code is generally easier to
reason about because (usually) each line of code is performing
a single task, whereas with functional coding the goal seems
to be to cram as many operations as possible into a single line
(I know that isn't the real reason, it just seems that way at
times).  Trying to 'unroll' everything in your head can be a
challenge.  Throw in a lambda function or two with
the mess of braces/symbols and then you have a real puzzler.