A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 19 09:59:35 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 19 March 2015 at 00:42:51 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 March 2015 at 12:59:17 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>> High level constructs in D are often slower than low-level
>> code, so in some cases you don't want to use them.
>
> I actually found that LDC does an _amazing_ job of optimizing
> high level constructs and converting "low level" code to higher
> level functional code resulted in minor speedups in a lot of
> cases.
>

> (Other performance benefits include the algorithm primitives
> being extensively optimized in phobos.)

If the code/compiler generates suboptimal code in the first place
then improvements can be somewhat random. But if you write code
with good cache locality, filling the pipeline properly then
there is no alternative to going low level.

Btw, take a look at this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28922323/improving-line-wise-i-o-operations-in-d

That's really bad marketing...