A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 19 10:44:19 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 19 March 2015 at 00:52:12 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/18/2015 5:34 PM, cym13 wrote:
>> Maybe there should be a "part 2" to the C-to-D little
>> tutorial, one that shows
>> how to code at a higher level introducing gently functional
>> structures instead
>> of just teaching how to write C in D. To stop thinking about
>> steps to think
>> about transformations isn't an easy thing.
>
> Andrei and I talked about this, how we are failing to point out
> how to idiomatically use D to advantage. We need to do a lot
> better at this.

One underused resource seems to be all the examples bearophile
has put on Rosetta Code:

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:D

If he, Adam, or some other proficient D user were to do a weekly
series breaking down each of those 733 examples one at a time-
what idioms were used, why certain variations were more
efficient- that could go a long way to introduce the language and
its idioms to beginners.  It would provide enough examples for 14
years of such a weekly series, by which time D3 will be getting
started!