A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 19 16:02:06 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 19 March 2015 at 20:43:55 UTC, Almighty Bob wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 March 2015 at 10:07:06 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 17 March 2015 at 18:29:20 UTC, Almighty Bob wrote:

>>> They don't increase encapsulation. The public members of a
>>> voldomort type are still public, you still have to code to
>>> the API of the return type whether it's a regular or
>>> voldomort type. You can keep as much private or public in
>>> either case as you like.
>>>
>>> All they do take the typename out of circulation, they make
>>> life harder for the user. There's no benefit. None.
>>>
>>> But at least the library author can stroke his chin a feel
>>> smug that there's one less type in the modules' namespace.
>>
>> Totally missing the point. The crux of the matter is this:
>> changing a voldemort type (assuming the public semantics are
>> the same) is not a breaking API change, because no-one else's
>> code ever names it.
>
> Seriously? You cant have a public API and private
> implementation with a regular type? That's something specific
> to voldomort types?
>
> Ask yourself what exactly do voldomort types enable you to hide
> that cant be hidden with a regular type? Just one thing. Their
> name. As you said no one else can ever name the type.
>
> That is no benefit to me the user. No-one has been able to even
> describe a benefit. Walters article on Dr Dobbs doesn't
> describe a benefit. It "increases encapsulation" you all squawk.
>
> No it doesn't. The private bits are still private, the public
> bits are still public.
>
> All it does is complicate the user side.
>
> Its the emperor's new clothes.

It's not possible to construct a voldemort type outside of the
function where it was declared, and you can't know what that type
is, just what the API is. You can force type deduction so the
type returned can be changed without breaking code, so long as
the API is the same. That's how it increases encapsulation.