[Semi OT] The programming language wars

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 20 12:09:00 PDT 2015

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:23:27 -0700, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:

> Ultimately, I think rodent-based UIs will go the way of the dinosaur.
> It's a regression from the expressiveness of an actual language with
> grammar and semantics back to caveman-style point-and-grunt. It may take
> decades, maybe even centuries, before the current GUI trendiness fades
> away, but eventually it will become obvious that there is no future in a
> non-abstractible UI. Either CLIs will be proven by the test of time, or
> something else altogether will come along to replace the rodent dead-end
> with something more powerful. Something abstractible with the
> expressiveness of language and semantics, not regressive
> point-and-grunt.

Oberon TUI was really nice, as it combines point-and-click with CLI
expressivenes. not only you can type command almost anywhere and
immediately execute it, but you can combine commands in "tools",
parameterize commands with "marked window", "selected text" (those were
completely independend things), simple text and so on. even window
actions like "close", "save" and such was ordinary commands, simply
printed at window header.

Oberon Gadgets was an extension of that system, where buttons and so on
were simply "nicely drawn area that still executes command on click".