A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 20 13:31:08 PDT 2015

On 3/20/2015 3:59 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Friday, 20 March 2015 at 10:50:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Since 'line' is never referred to again after constructed, even a simple
>> optimizer could elide it.
>>
>> It would be easy to test - accumulate the lines in an array, and check the times.
>
> Which the default Python implementation doesn't have, hence my comment.

After all these years, the default Python implementation doesn't do fairly basic
optimizations? I find that a bit hard to believe.

> Also even if it did have one, it cannot elide it as it cannot guarantee the
> semantics of the generators/iterators side effects will be kept.

I wonder why keeping a string would be a side effect.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't know Python well enough to make such a
judgement. It just causes me to raise one eyebrow like Spock if it does work
this way.