[Semi OT] The programming language wars

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 20 22:30:26 PDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 04:17:00AM +0000, Joakim via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> What I was going to say too, neither CLI or GUI will win, speech
> recognition will replace them both, by providing the best of both.
> Rather than writing a script to scrape several shopping websites for
> the price of a Galaxy S6, I'll simply tell the intelligent agent on my
> computer "Find me the best deal on a S6" and it will go find it.

I dunno, I find that I can express myself far more precisely and
concisely on the keyboard than I can verbally. Maybe for everyday tasks
like shopping for the best deals voice recognition is Good Enough(tm),
but for more complex tasks, I have yet to find something more expressive
than the keyboard.

> As for touch, seems like a dead-end to me, far less expressive than
> anything else and really only geared for rudimentary interaction.  It
> may always be there but you likely won't use it much.

Yeah, it's just another variation of point-and-grunt. Except the grunt
part is replaced with tap. :-P

> I do think some sort of hand gesture-based interface will stick around
> for when voice isn't expressive enough, ie you'll still want to use
> your hands when painting:
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/19/jaw-dropping-magic-leap-demo/
>
> That video is not the way it will be done, as waving your arms around
> Minority Report-style is way too much effort, but something akin to
> the small finger movements I make on my touch-based trackpad, but in
> 3D, will likely be it.

You might be on to something. Manipulation of 3D holograms via hand
motion detection perhaps might be what will eventually work best.

"Maybe" is a strange word.  When mom or dad says it it means "yes", but when my big brothers say it it means "no"! -- PJ jr.