A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

FG via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 21 04:37:58 PDT 2015

On 2015-03-20 at 16:25, weaselcat wrote:
> On Friday, 20 March 2015 at 15:12:44 UTC, David Gileadi wrote:
>> Someone who knows about copyright/licensing would probably need to check that it's okay if we plan to use them verbatim. If we can't then it might be worth linking to the above page from somewhere on dlang.org.
>
> All of the content on rosettacode appears to be licensed under GNU FDL, I believe it would just have to be released under the GNU FDL or a similar copyleft license that fulfills the GNU FDL.

Definitely, having a link to http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:D would be useful.

As for providing some of the examples in-place, there are two pieces of that legal puzzle:

1. The definitions of the problem to solve
Most tasks on Rosetta code are common and generic: concatenate strings, sort a collection of integers using merge/quick/whatever sort, etc., so they aren't anything that had its first appearance on RC. Copy-pasting the exact phrasing of those problems from RC would be a violation, but describing them on your own certainly is not.

2. The solutions to problems
Copying those code snippets in general may violate GNU FDL (if it exceeds the scope of citation), but if the complete D answer to a challenge on RC was provided by bearophile, and wasn't a modification of an existing answer, *he himself* can give you a separate licensing deal to re-use his code in whatever way you want, because when posting a solution to RC there is no mention (I assume that there isn't, because it would make no sense, but please verify) that you sign over your work to them, giving RC an *exclusive* license to use it.