[Semi OT] The programming language wars

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 22 04:11:30 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 22 March 2015 at 10:24:16 UTC, FG wrote:
> On 2015-03-22 at 11:03, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?=
> <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
>> On Sunday, 22 March 2015 at 09:30:38 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>>> Of course there is. Experience and judgement aren't
>>> measurable. You don't have science without numbers.
>>
>> WTF?
>
> Heh, everything is measurable, but sometimes the chosen metrics
> and analysis are just ridiculous and not worth the paper they
> are printed on, even though all rules of scientific reasoning
> were followed. :)

Almost right. Even a well conducted quantitative study might be
misleading because it measures correlation and not causality.
Causality is hard nut to crack and it will in the end hang on our
beliefs in the methodology, the study, the tools, the objects
being studied, the people conducting the studies and the "already
accepted assumptions in the field" (established theories which
might be wrong) etc. So in essence, science is a belief system
(not all that different from religion, although the contrary is
often claimed).

This all becomes easier to reason about if people give up the
idea that science represents "the truth". It does not, it
presents models that are hypothetical in nature. These may be
useful or not useful, but are usually incomplete and somewhat
incorrect... In medical sciences correlation based models can be
very useful, or very harmful (when incomplete on critical
parameters such as negative effects of radiation).

In the design field the theories used are applied to a future
unknown setting so correlation has very low value and insight in
causality has a very high value. Meaning: a somewhat flawed high
level model about how human beings think and react, about
causality, might lead to better design than a more limited and
correct low level model of how the brain works based on
correlation.

Whether "everything is measurable" depends on what you mean. You
might say that qualitative studies involves measuring because
everything you perceive are measurements. In the real world, the
data (what you have collected) will usually be inadequate for
what is being "claimed". After all, it is a society of "publish
or perish". So you need many independent studies to get something
solid, but how many fields can produce that? Only the big ones,
right?