From the cycle "Topic of the day" - .gitignore: how big is too big?

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 22 09:08:40 PDT 2015

On 3/22/15 3:17 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Sunday, 22 March 2015 at 05:56:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 3/21/15 8:54 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>>> We add it to the .gitignore, then forget about it forever. Having a
>>> long gitignore doesn't cost us anything.
>>
>> ... but complicated/wrong clean rules in makefiles and clutter in ls.
>> We should clean our shit. -- Andrei
>
> I thought moving things around was also one of your pet peeves :)

Yah but I'm seeing pull requests "yeah there's some more junk out there,
let's just add it to .gitignore". It seems to me like the wrong way to
address the matter at hand.

> I know for a fact that changing where win32.mak creates phobos.lib is
> going to break at least Digger and my own D build scripts which predate
> Digger. It will probably break others' workflow too. Adding lines to
> .gitignore seems more reasonable from that perspective.

On Windows I'd speculate junk is even more of a problem - all of it
appears right there in Explorer and other GUI tools. Doesn't that bother
people?

> posix.mak is already sensible in that it puts everything under generated/.

Yah guess who did that :o).

Ionno at a higher level this is what bothers me: at work this wouldn't
be debated - as soon as someone noticed, there'd be agreement and the
matter would be looked at. I wish we had a better culture on the D team
as well. It looks that as soon as anything remotely debatable comes
around, belligerent mode is on.

Andrei