Solution to problems:

Jake The Baker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 23 14:34:08 PDT 2015

If D had an ide that could do the following I think development
and testing could be better managed.

1. IDE that works with a centralized server to be able to change
D versions at a drop of a time. e.g., click "Master" and it
checks to see if you have the latest, if not it downloads it,
configures it, and sets it up hands free to be used. (If it
requires any interaction to work then it is a bug)

2. Patches, bugs, and everything else can be accessed through
this IDE. Collaboration can be made between groups of people and
individuals. Announcements could be made by head honchos. (In
fact, this software could be more generic and used by anyone for
any purpose of collaboration in programming... e.g. with php).

One can see open bugs, issues, workarounds, etc at a click.

3. Projects could be collaborated on easily with people being
able to "watch"(RD) another persons session(say for debugging
help or whatever).

4. The ability to connect resources to projects. e.g. insert a
note over a function that links to the D documentation about a
bug.

5. etc.

If such an IDE existed so that anyone could simply run it, open a
"bug" and start working without having to go through a massive
change(by quick, I mean click of a button), then I think people
would be more willing to help.

The number one reason I don't contribute is that I don't have the
time to dedicate to maintain all the knowledge and
software/organization to fit it in my schedule.

I suspect that is most everyone excuse too.

I don't want to spend 30mins to an hour to download the latest
version, compile it if I have to, make sure all the configuration
stuff is correct, create a setup program... just to find out
there is a bug in the latest version at the end.

I'm simply not that dedicated to D. Again, I suspect most people
aren't. You have really dedicated people here but not enough to
get everything that needs to be done, done.

Instead, find out how to leverage all the people that would help
if you make it worth their time.

It might be slower in the short term but better in the long term.
  In 10 more years I doubt Andrei or Walter will have as much
energy to do all the work that they are doing... Better build the
infrastructure now while there is time.