Solution to problems:

Jake The Baker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 24 10:13:05 PDT 2015

You guys are complete ignoring 90% of the post. It is not just
about configuration.

1. Whatever you claim to be easy is irrelevant. Just because X
can be done by you. If you want "Me" to do X it better be easy,
else I'm not going to waste my time.

Just because you can write 10 lines of script to download and
install the latest D is irrelevant. There is much more to it(how
long did it take you to figure out how to do that? 10 hours to
find the proper post? 40 hours to get everything setup?)

It's very easy to pick and choose... but it is irrelevant in this
discussion.

2. There is also the collaboration effect that was completely
ignored by the posters.

I know, many are simply going to say that it's just as easy to
open up a browser and get over to Git for the D forums... again,
irrelevant.

----

This isn't about what can already be done. We already have a D
compiler, people can already download different versions, submit
patches, run scripts, create scripts on the comp to manage some
of the things, etc...

What you guys not seeing is that all this stuff is a huge
F at Sf'ing mess from people on the outside.

Sure, you think your bedroom is clean... but your idea of clean
is vastly different from mine. If you want me to help you clean
my room then you better make it easy on me. I'm not going to pick
up your dirty underwear no matter how much you tell me it isn't a
big deal.

The point is, every post has been from the perspective of those
already involved in D... That's great! But what good does that do
to increase the numbers involved.

How many posts have been made in the last 6 months of people
saying that like D but don't use it for various issues? (issues
that many of you claim are irrelevant)

I know that the mentality of "We already have bicycles... why do
we need this thing you call a 'car'... seems very bulky and you
have to put that stuff you call gas in it... I guess I have to
buy that from you too?"...

Yet everyone uses cars... and if cars could fly and were cheap
enough, everyone would use those too... even the ones that now
say that flying cars are a waste.

When you have such problems with your eyes you have myopia. When
you have similar problems with seeing that your not the only one
that matters, it's called arrogance. With such arrogance, D will
not grow.

Food For Thought: If Walter and Andrei get vaporized by aliens
tomorrow, how many of you will not mind that D will be dead? What
about all the hours you guys have put into "scripting", figuring
out how dub works, and all that mess will be happy at moving into
a new direction in life?

Well, from my perspective that is what is going to happen if
things don't change. D is progressing too slow with too few
supporters to get anywhere.

If all you hard core D supporters are ok with that, then fine! I
have no problem with it then. But since I believe D is the best
programming language(even with all its faults), I think it would
be a tragedy for it to fade away so quickly. [e.g., Kids learning
to program should be able to start with D in a nice environment
just like I did with pascal... I remember it compiling so quick
and never having any issues]

My feeling is that there are just a handful of hard core
supporters trying to get D up and running(fixing bugs, expanding
language, etc) but I think this is in vain if in 10 years no one
uses it. (I guess progress though....)

Remember, marking is a huge deal in movies[etc], there is a
reason for it! And if you had to input some script into your
remote just to watch a show on TV, I think you either: A. Would
get used to it and think it is natural, easy, and quick and
everyone else should stop bitching. B. Buy a TV that was easier
to use.

We have a gap between A and B and no one is willing to
compromise.. But B is the market. This means A is either left to
holding it's guns(sort of arrogance) or has to do the
compromising. The B group(the ignorant group) simply do not have
the desire to jump in with the A's. Time and money matter to some
people more than others.

Also, having a central "Command" is always important for
productive and efficiency. Do you think NASA could do what it
does if it was spread out among hundred different people all
handling tasks as they wish. You launch the space shuttle but
little Joey, who was suppose to monitor the fly path and check
for anomalies was forced to sit at the table and finish his
spaghetti by his mother... Now the shuttle is sitting at the
bottom of the ocean.

It's up to you guys.

The only think I can say is: I simply will not contribute to
D(even though I think it is the best language) until it becomes
worth my time(easier to manage all the stuff that needs to be
managed). If you don't want to work with that and accept it then
so be it. No big deal for me. I have other things to do(which is
why I am not like you).

It would be nice if I was the only one like me, but if you
believe that then I guess D has no hope anyways.

Regardless, I'll be back in another year to see what progress has
been made. Good luck. I really do hope you guys can get your shit
together and make D the top language! I'd like to actually use it
for serious stuff one of these days(hopefully before my hair
turns gray)