Solution to problems:

lobo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 24 20:54:57 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 25 March 2015 at 03:30:19 UTC, Jake The Baker wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 March 2015 at 17:49:56 UTC, CraigDillabaugh
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 24 March 2015 at 17:13:07 UTC, Jake The Baker
>> wrote:
>>> You guys are complete ignoring 90% of the post. It is not
>>> just about configuration.
>>>
>>> Regardless, I'll be back in another year to see what progress
>>> has been made. Good luck. I really do hope you guys can get
>>> your shit together and make D the top language! I'd like to
>>> actually use it for serious stuff one of these days(hopefully
>>> before my hair turns gray)
>>
>> Did you even look at Digger and DVM as was suggested above?
>> They don't seem to fulfil your vision, but they do provide
>> some of what you are asking for.
>
> Again, the point is that one can't do it. We know it can be
> done.
> It's about efficiency.
>
> You are not accumulating the man hours it takes over the total
> work time(the unexpected stuff that can take days to fix. Days
> most people are not willing to even risk wasting if it is
> possible).
>

> If all this stuff was properly integrated into an ide like work
> space specifically tailored to D development, then I'm sure D
> would get more bites than it is.
>
> Obviously it isn't a simple undertaking.
>
> Lets suppose if 30 coders that come to this forum were on board.
> Suppose one year was spend developing such an app that make it
> very effective to not only develop in D but also help develop D.
> Suppose it was just a super awesome and efficient IDE that
> solved
> all the programmers problems.
>
> Ok, Would that year be worth the "wasted time" on the IDE
> considering what it can accomplish in the next 10+ years?
>
> Is the investment worth it?
>
> This is an "invest 10k$ and get 1M$ back" type of "scheme". But
> in this case if done right it will actually happen. (e.g.,
> invest
> in the stock market on logical investments vs giving your money
> to Burt & Bernie's Investment Firm.
>
> I just see a bunch of wasted arguments about things on this
> forum. If all that energy was captured and harnessed into
> creating something that would increase productivity then it will
> do so exponentially. (30 people spend 1 year to create something
> that potentially millions will use every day for the next 10+
> years. That's a 33,000 ROI... who would pass that up?)
>
> Of course, maybe we can just use 10 people and about 3 months to
> get a good approximation? Maybe eclipse could be developed to do
> the job? Maybe Visual D could be extended to include built in
> bug
> tracking, repository and versioning issues, collaboration, etc?
>
> These questions can't be answered until people think there is a
> problem. Maybe the real solution is just to scrap D and get
> behind Go. Who knows until people honestly look at the
> underlying
> [...]

Here's a shovel to help you on your way...

Does an IDE exist for contributing to Go?

https://golang.org/doc/install/source

Hmm, looks like CLI might be the IDE of go developers.

And if you just want to contribute to its ecosystem with Go progs?

https://golang.org/doc/code.html

Well this looks very similar to D + DUB.

In fact D is better because it doesn't dictate any one way. You
can choose whatever works for you. I'm using Make, CMake and
dub...I'm becoming addicted to DUB for rapid prototyping.

If you really want this, you could champion it yourself. I'm sure
the D IDE development projects could use as many hands as
possible.

bye,
lobo