A reason to choose D over Go

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 25 10:27:24 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 25 March 2015 at 17:21:43 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

>> I earn my pay with Java development. In my spare time I learn
>> some Scala hoping there might be some work for me with Scala
>> in the future. Then I need to become familiar with all kinds
>> of new frameworks, tools, libraries and systems that continue
>> to pop up every year in the JVM eco system.
>>
>> In the end there is not much time left for playing with a
>> "systems language". As Go is very effortless it could be a
>> good compromise here. I have thrown it away and refetched it
>> due to lack of alternatives several times. I would like to
>> play with D, but it has as step a learning curve as Scala. If
>> you don't have a background in C or C++ the learning curve is
>> even steeper. So it depends a lot from where you are coming.
>
> I have never used Scala, never written in C++, and haven't done
> much C programming in about twenty years (and only occasional
> VBA for Excel programming in between).  I don't learn as
> quickly today as when a child.  But I was able to learn enough
> D to be productive in my domain in a few months, and found it
> easier to learn than Python.  So I haven't personally found the
> learning curve to be steep in the sense of learning enough to
> be reasonably productive.  The metaprogramming perhaps, but you
> can do a lot without being a ninja there if your orientation is
> just being able to solve the problems you have in a small to
> medium project.
>

> Laeeth

There is something about languages that is very personal, though.
  D just seemed right aesthetically.  One is going to find it
easier to become an expert on a composer - say Beethoven, if he
speaks to something in your soul, than if you simply can't stand
his music.  (And there are many gradations in between).  It is an
unfashionable perspective, but I think this is true of
programmimg languages too.  People have different aesthetic and
emotional organisations, and the appeal of different languages
will not be the same to every person, holding ability constant.