Best D pitch

rumbu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 25 15:34:28 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 25 March 2015 at 20:57:43 UTC, Jonathan wrote:
> Thanks Joakim! That's a great article, I've remember reading it
> years ago that originally attracted me to the language. I was
> hoping for something more concise: perhaps a single page with
> language highlights.

Since I am mainly a C# developer, I can tell you what convinced
me:
- D code looks 90% like C#, it's very easy to learn;
- native compilation;
- templates as generics on steroids;
- compatibility with C;
- memory allocation control;
- compile time reflection;
- mixins;
- a better approach to operator overloading;
- unittest integration
- inline assembler;
- SIMD

A good resource is also the comparison made by Adam Wilson at
DConf:
- slides - http://dconf.org/2013/talks/wilson.pdf
- talk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_xdfSVRrKo

Anyway, don't point him to
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguagesVersusD, this
page is full of lies :)

Unfortunately, the list of what's not convincing me is much
longer, I don't want to discourage him.