A reason to choose D over Go

Shammah Chancellor via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 27 07:21:18 PDT 2015

On 2015-03-25 10:17:00 +0000, Bienlein said:

>> I recently made a pull request for a go tool and spent about half an
>> hour trying to find some function to test whether an array contains a
>> particular element.
>
> There are libraries for this like gen:
> http://clipperhouse.github.io/gen. But it also suffers from the absence
> of generics.
>
>> trust me, from an undecided but experienced developer's
>> perspective there are so many reasons to choose D over Go. on the
>> otherhand same person has a lot more reasons to choose Go over D.
>
> I earn my pay with Java development. In my spare time I learn some
> Scala hoping there might be some work for me with Scala in the future.
> Then I need to become familiar with all kinds of new frameworks, tools,
> libraries and systems that continue to pop up every year in the JVM eco
> system.
>
> In the end there is not much time left for playing with a "systems
> language". As Go is very effortless it could be a good compromise here.
> I have thrown it away and refetched it due to lack of alternatives
> several times. I would like to play with D, but it has as step a
> learning curve as Scala. If you don't have a background in C or C++ the
> learning curve is even steeper. So it depends a lot from where you are
> coming.
>
>> i'm writing a very long blog post about this. if anyone's
>> interested, i can happily share the draft with them.
>
> Please drop a comment in this thread or somewhere when it is published.
>
> Cheers, Bienlein

D is a superset of go's functionality aside from the structural typing
(which in my opinion is a huge fail for a variety of reasons you will
see if you try to use it for anything extensive).  If you don't want to
learn about templates and metaprogramming, then don't.  I fail to
understand why having extra features is a deterrant?

-Shammah