They wrote the fastest parallelized BAM parser in D

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 30 11:23:21 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-03-30 at 18:04 +0000, george via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > .NET actually already has a foothold in bioinformatics,
> > specially in user facing software and steering of reading
> > equipments and robots.
> >
> > So D's needs a story over C# and F# (alongside WPF for data
> > visualization) use cases.
> >
> > --
> > Paulo

Paulo,

Can you send me some pointers to this stuff?

> Though when it comes to open source bioinformatics projects, Perl
> and Python have a large foothold
> among most most bioinformaticians. Most utilities that require
> speed are often written in C and C++ (BLAST, HMMER, SAMTOOLS etc).
>
> I think D stands a good chance as a language of choice for
> bioinformatics projects.
>
> George

My "prejudice", based on training people in Python and C++ over the
last few years, is that Python and C++ have a very strong position in
the bioinformatics community, with the use of IPython (now becoming
Jupyter) increasing and solidifying the Python position.

D's position is quite weak here because one of the important things is
visualising data, something SciPy/Matplotlib are very good at. D has
no real play in this arena and so there is no way (currently) of
creating a foothold. Sad, but…

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk