[Semi OT] The programming language wars

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 30 11:49:00 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 29 March 2015 at 21:17:26 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 March 2015 at 18:27:51 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>> would suffice.
>>
>> When you said "I think rodent-based UIs will go the way of the
>> dinosaur," you seemed to be talking about more than just
>> programmers.
>>

> I'm still waiting for The Last One (from Feb 1981) to reach
> fruition:
>
> http://www.tebbo.com/presshere/html/wf8104.htm
>
> http://teblog.typepad.com/david_tebbutt/2007/07/the-last-one-pe.html
>
> Once finished, there will be no more need to write any programs.

Heh, that article is pretty funny. :) In the comments for the
second link, the lead programmer supposedly said, "For me TLO
remains the 1st ever programming wizard. Wrongly advertised and
promoted, but inherentlyt a 'good idea'."  Considering how
widespread wizards are in Windows these days, the idea has
certainly done well.

I do think that that concept of non-technical users providing
constraints and answering questions is the future of building
software, it just can't be built by one isolated guy.  The
configuration and glue code can be auto-generated, but there will
likely always need to be core libraries written in a programming
language by programmers.  But the same automation that has put
most travel agents out of work will one day be applied to most
programmers too.