Named unittests

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 30 14:52:36 PDT 2015

We're having a strong need for named unittests at Facebook for multiple
reasons.

1. We have sophisticated tooling that verifies whether unittests are
flaky. The automated monitor (for e.g. C++) figures whether a given
unittest fails several times across several commits. Unittests are
identified by name; relying on file/line is impossible because the line
of a failure is not stable across changes.

2. Again for efficient automated testing and flakiness detection, one
should be able to run only a subset of unittests by mentioning them by
line in the command line. Note that this implies there's no
interdependency between distinct unittests, which is fine because the
new ability is opt-on; I'd say is pure style anyway.

3. Mentioning unittest names in failure messages helps human
communication (e.g. "AddPeer is failing after your change"). This is
impossible with file and line numbers.

I'd like to make a DIP for named unittests. Who can help me with that?

Andrei