DMD compilation speed

lobo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 30 15:47:51 PDT 2015

On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 22:39:51 UTC, lobo wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 March 2015 at 23:14:31 UTC, Martin Krejcirik
> wrote:
>> It seems like every DMD release makes compilation slower. This
>> time I see 10.8s vs 7.8s on my little project. I know this is
>> generally least of concern, and D1's lighting-fast times are
>> long gone, but since Walter often claims D's superior
>> compilation speeds, maybe some profiling is in order ?
>
> I'm finding memory usage the biggest problem for me. 3s speed
> increase is not nice but an increase of 500MB RAM usage with
> DMD 2.067 over 2.066 means I can no longer build one of my
> projects.
>
> bye,
> lobo

I should add that I am on a 32-bit machine with 4GB RAM. I just
ran some tests measuring RAM usage:

DMD 2.067 ~4.2GB (fails here so not sure of the full amount
required)
DMD 2.066 ~3.7GB (maximum)
DMD 2.065 ~3.1GB (maximum)

It was right on the edge with 2.066 anyway but this trend of more
RAM usage seems to also be occurring with each DMD release.

bye,
lobo