Filling out the wiki - D as a second language

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 30 19:18:04 PDT 2015

On 3/29/15 4:21 PM, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Coming_From
>
> These sections are empty/close to empty:
>
> Ruby / Java / Eiffel / C# / and Basic
>
> I made a small start on the Python section.  It needs more concrete
> side-by-side examples of translating Python idioms into D, but that is
> all I can do for now.

Thanks for this initiative. It would be indeed awesome if this got a bit
more attention. Once we get the portal fleshed out, we can promote the
link to the homepage.

One note about Walter's older C/C++ transition articles. They have good
information on transition technicalities (e.g. "how do I do this thing
in D that I used to do in C++?") but not a lot about the changes in
coding style - making object copying not arbitrarily expensive, choosing
struct vs. class, preferring pipelines and lazy to eager computation,
etc. From what I see some folks come from C++, write their first D
program in a stilted C++ idiom, and are left with the impression that
the work is not worth the trouble.

Andrei