They wrote the fastest parallelized BAM parser in D

Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 30 19:31:57 PDT 2015

On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 22:55:37 UTC, lobo wrote:
> On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 20:25:33 UTC, CraigDillabaugh wrote:
>> On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 20:09:35 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>>>
>> clip
>>>
>>> You're right about the lack of visualization being a shame. I
>>> have been thinking about porting Bokeh bindings to D.  There
>>> isn't much too it on the server side - all you need to do is
>>> build up the object model and translate it to JSON - but I
>>> have not time right now to do it all myself.
>>>
>> clip
>>
>> A comment on the visualization thing. Is this really a big
>> issue?
> [snip]
>
> Yes of course, why do you think Pyhton + sciPy/Numpy has such a
> foothold in the scientific community. Visualisation is an
> important part of data processing pipeline.
>
> It's also why Matlab is so useful for those lucky enough to
> work for a company that can afford it.
>
> bye,
> lobo

My point wasn't that visualization isn't important, it is that in
most scientific computing it is very easy (and sensible) to
separate the processing and visualization aspects.  So lack of D
visualization tools should not hinder  its value as a data
processing tool.

For example, Hadoop is immensely popular for data processing, but
it includes no visualization tools. That is a slightly different
domain I understand, but there are similarities.

So in short, if there were nice D visualization tools that would
certainly be helpful, but I don't think is should be a show
stopper.