unittests are really part of the build, not a special run

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 30 20:29:38 PDT 2015

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 22:30:17 +0000, Dicebot wrote:

> tl: dr: please, no
>
> We have put quite some effort into fighting default DMD behaviour of
> -unittest simply adding to main function and not replacing it.
> Initially many applications did run tests on startup because DMD
> suggested it is a good idea - some rather bad practical experience has
> shown this was a rather bad suggestion. Accidental tests that start
> doing I/O on productions servers, considerably increased restart times
> for services - that kind of issues.
>
> And if you suggest to build both test and normal build as part of single
> compiler call (building test version silently in the background) this is
> also very confusing addition hardly worth its gain.
>
> Just tweak your editors if that is truly important. It is not like being
> able to click some fancy lines in GUI makes critical usability addition
> to testing.

ah, i see.
* building new phobos version now: several seconds.
* building new phobos version with unittests now: several minutes.

with your suggesion:
* building new phobos version: several minutes.
* building new phobos version with unittests: several minutes.

yep, it's great. i was dreamt of such long compile sessions since i
learned that compilers can be fast.