They wrote the fastest parallelized BAM parser in D

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 31 01:23:52 PDT 2015

On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 20:28:11 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 18:04:58 UTC, george wrote:
>>
>>> .NET actually already has a foothold in bioinformatics,
>>> specially in user facing software and steering of reading
>>> equipments and robots.
>>>
>>> So D's needs a story over C# and F# (alongside WPF for data
>>> visualization) use cases.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Paulo
>>
>> Though when it comes to open source bioinformatics projects,
>> Perl and Python have a large foothold
>> among most most bioinformaticians. Most utilities that require
>> speed are often written in C and C++ (BLAST, HMMER, SAMTOOLS
>> etc).
>>
>> I think D stands a good chance as a language of choice for
>> bioinformatics projects.
>>
>> George
>
> Yes on the server side and UNIX based research.
>
> However, I have learned in the last years that Windows based
> systems are also used a lot, specially in controlling robots
> and doing the first processing steps and visualization.
>
> At least in commercial research.
>
> --
> Paulo

Yes, to the benefit of literally no-one. To be fair, it's not a
problem of the operating system, just that special purpose GUI
programmes for scientific work always seem to be utterly dreadful.
"Hey, we need to record some time series and show a spectrum on
the fly" "OK great, let's commission a closed source Windows GUI
application with its own proprietary file format, sure it'll
crash once a day and have scientifically important paramters
hard-coded and undocumented, but at least you can point and
click!"

It seems to be true across the board in government research
facilities, pharmaceutical companies, most of academia and so
on... Enormous piles of proprietary vomit being propped up by an
endless stream of disinterested and semi-incompetent programmers,
steadily digging their way to job security.