Filling out the wiki - D as a second language

Baz via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 31 01:50:07 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 at 08:36:00 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2015-03-31 04:18, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> Thanks for this initiative. It would be indeed awesome if this
>> got a bit
>> more attention. Once we get the portal fleshed out, we can
>> promote the
>> link to the homepage.
>>
>> One note about Walter's older C/C++ transition articles. They
>> have good
>> information on transition technicalities (e.g. "how do I do
>> this thing
>> in D that I used to do in C++?") but not a lot about the
>> changes in
>> coding style - making object copying not arbitrarily
>> expensive, choosing
>> struct vs. class, preferring pipelines and lazy to eager
>> computation,
>> etc. From what I see some folks come from C++, write their
>> first D
>> program in a stilted C++ idiom, and are left with the
>> impression that
>> the work is not worth the trouble.
>
> I could add something for Ruby but I'm not really sure what to
> add. The the content for the existing languages is quite
> different compared with each other.

This is a wiki, so do it the way you want.

Personnaly for the Delphi/Pascal section i haven't followed any
previous model (except for the `pascal way` or the D way`) but
i've rather choosen to focus on ambiguities and similarities...

Just do it and if someone comes with a better solution he can
delete everything. It'a wiki.