from ruby to D

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 31 03:48:52 PDT 2015

> I could add something for Ruby but I'm not really sure what to
> add. The the content for the existing languages is quite
> different compared with each other.

Often one doesn't know what one wants to write till one starts.
I guess the focus will be different coming from Ruby than coming
from Basic, because people think in different ways and tend to be
solving different sorts of problems - so I should think there is
no need to strive for uniformity at this stage.  Just making a
start is a big improvement on a blank page - it doesn't need to
be excellent on day one.

Maybe just try to remember what you struggled with (or would
struggle with) when learning D as a Ruby guy.  What are the cool
futures in Ruby that you can do, or do better in D?  What are the
traps and 'faux amis' (things in D that don't do what one might
think if coming from a Ruby background)?

Go has not just a wiki entry, but a whole book on "Go for Python
programmers".  D is different from Go, but maybe we should make
the whole experience for newcomers just a little bit easier.