unittests are really part of the build, not a special run

qznc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 31 09:21:02 PDT 2015

On Monday, 30 March 2015 at 22:50:21 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Violent agreement here. I was just saying unittests should be
> part of the build process, not the run process. Running
> unittests and then the app is a bad idea.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Then -unittest should be enabled by default?

Implementationwise it sounds like you want another entry point
apart from main, e.g. "main_unittest". Then the build process is
compile-link-unittest. Afterwards the run process is the usual
main call.

It makes binaries bigger though. Maybe unittest-specific code can
be placed in a special segment, which can be removed during
deployment?