DMD compilation speed

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 31 13:58:38 PDT 2015

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 18:24:48 +0000, deadalnix wrote:

> On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 at 11:29:23 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:14:05 +0000, Temtaime wrote:
>>
>>> Is anyone there looked how msvc for example compiles really big files
>>> ?
>>> I never seen it goes over 200 MB. And it is written in C++, so no GC.
>>> And compiles very quick.
>>
>> and it has no CTFE, so...
>>
>> CTFE is a big black hole that eats memory like crazy.
>
> I'm going to propose again the same thing as in the past :
>   - before CTFE switch pool.
>   - CTFE in the new pool.
>   - deep copy result from ctfe pool to main pool.
>   - ditch ctfe pool.

this won't really help long CTFE calls (like building a parser based on
grammar, for example, as this is a one very long call). it will slow down
simple CFTE calls though.

it *may* help, but i'm looking at my "life" samle, for example, and see
that it eats all my RAM while parsing big .lif file. it has to do that in
one call, as there is no way to enumerate existing files in directory and
process them sequentially -- as there is no way to store state between
CTFE calls, so i can't even create numbered arrays with data.